Pooler, GA


Pooler has experienced an explosion in both residential and commercial growth over the past several years transforming this once sleepy suburb of Savannah into a major hub of West Chatham County. With the formation of several planned-unit developments (PUDs), Pooler is attracting everyone from empty nesters to young professionals and new families.  

Godley Station was the first PUD development in Pooler and sold its first homesite in 2001.  Neighborhoods like The Arbors and Forest Lakes provides plenty of living options including single-family residences, patio homes, as well as estates and executive properties.  These amenity packed neighborhoods provide recreational activities for the entire family.

A Peek at Pooler's Past:  During the Civil War, Pooler was a railway stop called Pooler's Station named for railway worker Robert W. Pooler.  Pooler's Station was the last stop before Savannah on the Central of Georgia Railroad.  In December 1864, it was a meeting place for Union officers led by General William Tecumseh Sherman, in preparation for their siege of the city of Savannah.

The city had a small population of 337 when it incorporated in 1907 and the first Pooler Town Hall was built in 1923.  Shearouse Sawmill and Lumber Company establised its business in the city in 1927 and is still in operation today.  In 1928, paving of U.S. Highway 80 through Pooler was completed making travel easier for residents to go into Savannah for many of their shopping needs.  The 1950's saw major structural changes for Pooler.  The railroad tracks were removed to make way for eastbound traffice on Hwy. 80 and in 1956 construction began on Interstate 95, a major interstate highway that would eventually stretch from Maine to Miami and touch the edge of the city.

Pooler's first subdivision, Gleason Heights, was developed in the 1960's.  Pooler's growth was slow and steady through the 70's and 80's, remaining a small, proud community.

Forward thinking city officials conducted a well-planned annexation in 1993, contributing to a strong tax base for Pooler.  In 1996, the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum opened its facility near Interstate 95 and Hwy. 80 and soon after J.C. Bamford Company (JC) built a 500,000 sq ft construction equipment manufacturing facility nearby.

A modern YMCA opened along the newly constructed Pooler Parkway and a newly renovated Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport is located adjacent to the city.

The growth in West Chatham has also spread to Bloomingdale, Garden City and Port Wentworth. With the great roadways in this area you can reach anywhere in minutes.